How Does Functional Medicine for Allergies Work?
Are you tired of suffering from seasonal allergies or food intolerances? Do you want to try a different approach to treating your symptoms? Functional medicine for allergies offers treatment approaches that address the root cause of allergies, offering hope for allergy sufferers.
What Is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is a holistic approach to healthcare that aims to identify and address the root causes of illness and disease. Functional medicine practitioners take an individualized approach to patient care, considering each person’s unique genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. This personalized approach allows practitioners to develop targeted treatment plans that address the underlying imbalances in the body rather than just treating the symptoms, making functional medicine for allergies a natural solution.
How Do Allergies Work?
Allergies occur when the immune system overreacts to a perceived threat, such as pollen, dust, or certain foods. When the body comes into contact with an allergen, the immune system releases a chemical called histamine, which triggers inflammation and other allergy symptoms. Common allergy symptoms include the following:
- Runny nose
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Hives or rash
- Digestive upset, such as bloating, gas, or diarrhea
Conventional Allergy Treatments
Traditional allergy treatments typically involve the use of antihistamines, which work to block the effects of histamine in the body. Other medications, such as decongestants and nasal corticosteroids, may also be used to manage allergy symptoms. While these treatments can be effective in providing short-term relief, they do not address the underlying imbalances in the body that may be contributing to allergy symptoms.
Functional Medicine Allergy Treatments
Functional medicine for allergies involves a different approach. Rather than just treating the symptoms, functional medicine practitioners aim to identify and address the root causes of allergies. This may include factors such as gut health, inflammation, low voltage, and immune system function.
One common approach of functional medicine for allergies is the use of elimination diets. These diets involve temporarily removing certain foods from the diet to identify any potential food sensitivities or intolerances that may be contributing to allergy symptoms. Additionally, probiotics and natural supplements may be used to support gut health and reduce inflammation in the body.
Specific Functional Medicine Treatments for Allergies
Functional medicine practitioners may use a variety of approaches to help patients manage their allergy symptoms. Some common functional medicine treatments for allergies include the following:
- Nutrient support: Certain vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C and magnesium, can help support the immune system and reduce inflammation. A functional medicine practitioner may recommend specific supplements to help address nutrient deficiencies and support overall health.
- Functional lab testing: Functional lab testing can help identify underlying imbalances in the body that could contribute to allergy symptoms. These tests may include assessments of gut health, immune system function, and nutrient deficiencies.
- Biofeedback therapy: Biofeedback therapy involves using electronic sensors to monitor bodily functions such as heart rate, muscle tension, and breathing. With the help of a practitioner, patients can learn to control these functions in order to reduce stress and improve overall health. Biofeedback therapy may help manage allergy symptoms by reducing stress and anxiety, which can exacerbate allergies.
- Elimination diets: Elimination diets involve removing certain foods from the diet in order to identify food sensitivities or intolerances. By identifying and eliminating trigger foods, patients may experience reduced allergy symptoms.
- IV nutrient therapy: IV nutrient therapy involves administering vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients directly into the bloodstream. This can effectively address nutrient deficiencies and support overall health, which can be especially important for patients with allergies who may have a compromised immune system.
Getting Started with Functional Medicine for Allergies
If you want to explore functional medicine for allergies, working with a qualified practitioner with experience in this area is important. At the Tennant Institute we have decades of experience using functional medicine for allergy treatment.
Because our founder has suffered the pain that comes from being unable to find a solution to severe health problems, we take our mission seriously and deliver the best possible patient-centered care.
The Tennant Institute offers a unique and comprehensive approach to allergy treatment that combines integrative and functional medicine practices. With a team of experienced practitioners and cutting-edge diagnostic tools, the Tennant Institute is dedicated to identifying and treating the underlying causes of allergy symptoms. The Tennant Institute can offer effective, long-term relief for allergy sufferers by taking a personalized and holistic approach to patient care. Whether you’re dealing with seasonal allergies or food intolerances, the Tennant Institute’s functional medicine treatments can help you achieve optimal health and wellness.
If you’re ready to treat your allergies with functional medicine, we invite you to contact us for a free consultation and explore the next steps.