Tennant Institute offers a holistic medical approach that uses physics to heal naturally. Located in Irving, Texas. Unable to travel? We offer Telemedicine appointments!
Learn about Dr. Jerry Tennant
MD, MD(H), PSc.D
How do you describe a Renaissance man?
Genius, scholar, inventor, humanitarian, innovator, healer, teacher, entrepreneur, historian — these are just a few of the terms that describe Dr. Jerry Tennant whose remarkable life, dedicated to healing and innovation, has changed the paradigm of western medicine.
By completing his junior and senior years simultaneously through home study courses, Dr. Tennant graduated valedictorian from high school at the age of sixteen. He attended Texas Tech University for his undergraduate where he received the Phi Kappa Phi Award and Premed of the Year Award.
Before entering medical school, Dr. Tennant attended the University of Houston School of Optometry. He was accepted into Southwestern Medical School at the age of nineteen and graduated in the top ten of his class at the age of twenty-three.
Dr. Tennant completed his residency in ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Southwestern Medical School/Parkland System between 1965 and 1968.
Board certified in Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Dr. Tennant’s illustrious career includes serving as director of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Clinic at Parkland Hospital, founder/director of Dallas Eye Institute and co-founder of the Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgical Society. He received a PhD (hon.) in anthropology from Orden De Santiago Apóstol.
He is one of the few surgeons to be awarded the Corboy Award for Advancements in Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Ophthalmology Award. Although not a Catholic, Dr. Tennant was awarded the Order of Saint Sylvester by Pope Benedict XVI in 2008 for his contributions in medicine.
He holds a doctorate of natural medicine license from the Board of Pastoral Medical Association; is licensed by the Board of Homeopathic and Integrated Medicine Examiners in Arizona; and is a current member of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine.
Collaboration with Pioneers in Healing
Dr. Jerrry Tennant is one of the most awarded ophthalmologists of his generation! Here are a few of the world leaders in cataract/implant surgery which whom he collaborated to advance the art and science of cataract surgery.
- Dr. Tennant taught surgeons around the world to do outpatient eye surgery and was instrumental in getting Congress to pay for this, saving Medicare millions of dollars every year.
- He was chairman of the ad hoc committee that wrote the rules that govern outpatient surgicenters in Texas.
- He was also one of the first surgeons in the U.S. to place intraocular lenses in eyes after cataract surgery, eliminating the need for thick, incapacitating glasses and taught his technique around the world.
- A pioneer in LASIK surgery, Dr. Tennant was responsible for most of the research done on the Excimer laser for VISX.
Dr. Tennant redesigned the European lenses to eliminate defects and was awarded patents for his designs. He holds over 13 patents for medical devices including intraocular lenses, surgical instruments and other devices including the Tennant BioModulator® PLUS and PRO.
Dr. Tennant performed over 1,000 operations in the United States and about 2,000 cases abroad from 1991 to 1995. Unfortunately, these numerous surgeries were the contributing factor to the decline in his health.
In the early days of laser operations, it was believed that ordinary surgical masks were sufficient to protect doctors from contamination. Nobody suspected that viruses existing in a patient’s eyes could possibly harm the surgeon. However, each time Dr. Tennant performed surgery, the laser would strike the eye and release viruses that drifted upward through his mask and into his nose and brain.
In time, he developed encephalitis and a bleeding disorder that manifested as spastic movements and an inability to remember even how to write a prescription. Diagnostic tests confirmed he had three viruses in his brain, but no one knew how to treat them. Dr. Tennant’s physicians told him there was nothing that could be done to help him. So, on November 30, 1995, he was forced to retire at the height of his career.
For almost seven years, Dr. Tennant was in a mental fog that rarely lifted. Too fatigued to function on any level, Dr. Tennant slept about 16-hours each day. During the two to three hours per day when he could think, he read books or newspapers until, like a light switch, his brain would turn off and he would no longer be able to understand what he was reading.
With his waking/thinking time severely limited, Dr. Tennant gradually began to realize that if he was going to get well, it was up to him to find a way since modern American medicine had no answers. So he started reading cellular biology books. As his knowledge grew, so did his belief in the importance of learning how to get a single cell to work correctly. If he could do that, in time, all of his cells would work correctly.
Each of the cellular biology books he read gave passing reference to the fact that cells function in a narrow range of pH, but said little more. Dr. Tennant began to look closely at pH. He came to realize that in addition to acidity and alkalinity, pH measures the voltage in a solution. Voltage. Could this be the key he was searching for? Gradually, Dr. Tennant began to understand that cells must have enough voltage to work and that chronic disease is associated with loss of voltage. His next step was to find out how to measure the voltage and keep it at optimal levels. Following this path, he was finally able to heal himself naturally.
Today, people travel from around the world to consult with Dr. Tennant at the Tennant Institute for Integrative Medicine. Dr. Tennant also teaches and lectures worldwide for Senergy Medical Group, the exclusive distributor of his patented Tennant BioModulator® PLUS and PRO. These FDA accepted, non-invasive devices are designed to offer healthcare professionals and home users affordable drug-free and user-friendly options for the indicated use of symptomatic relief for chronic, severe and intractable pain; as well as adjunctive treatment in the management of post-surgical and post-traumatic pain. The countless thousands of success stories and testimonials of patients’ recovery and pain reduction are phenomenal.
Dr. Tennant is the author of Healing is Voltage™ The Handbook, Healing is Voltage™ Textbook, Healing is Voltage™ Healing Eye Diseases, Healing is Voltage™, Acupuncture Muscle Batteries and Healing is Voltage™, Cancer's On/Off Switches: Polarity. These books are based on his own personal experience and continuous energetic medical research.
Dr. Tennant's objective, through his Tennant Principles, is to inform patients and practitioners how the body requires voltage to make new cells to maintain health and wellness, as well as incorporate traditional medicine with integrative medicine for better results.
Over 50 Years of Changing Medicine
Dr. Tennant was instrumental in or contributed to changes in the way ophthalmology was practiced in his lifetime. Here are several of the ways Dr. Tennant has made an impact in ophthalmology:
- Developed the techniques to safely implant intraocular lenses after cataract surgery, eliminating the disabling thick cataract glasses.
- Developed better and safer intraocular lenses.
- Developed the water-tight beveled incision to allow immediate ambulation after cataract surgery eliminating the need for patients to stay in bed for 2-3 weeks after cataract surgery.
- Developed a plastic dome patch to be used after eye surgery to avoid the unnecessary and uncomfortable pressure of standard patches.
- Developed techniques for saving eyes that hemorrhaged during surgery.
- With the anesthesiologist, Monte Hellman, MD, developed the techniques for safe outpatient eye surgery and opened the first outpatient eye Surgicenter in Texas.
- Lobbied congress to pay for outpatient surgery, resulting in savings of billions of dollars and patients avoiding the hazards of hospitalization (falling in strange surroundings, hospital infections, hospital medication errors, etc.).
- Along with Dr. McIntyre and Dr. Williamson, started the Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgery Society to teach ophthalmologists how to safely perform outpatient eye surgery.
- Trained ophthalmologists around the world to safely perform intraocular lens surgery. This included textbooks about cataract surgery, IOL surgery, and phacoemulsification.
- Did the majority of the FDA studies for the VISX laser for use in refractive surgery.
- With Dr. John Corboy and Dr. Malcolm Ing, was the catalyst for forming the Royal Hawaiian Eye Meeting, the third largest eye meeting in the world.
- Developed new theories explaining that acupuncture meridians are actually stacks of rechargeable muscle batteries, forming a power supply for every organ in the body.
- Found that the power supply to the macula is the stomach acupuncture meridian.
- Found that the power supply to the optic nerve and retina is the liver acupuncture meridian.
- Found that the power supply to the drainage system of the eye is the sympathetic acupuncture meridian.
Dr. Jerry Tennant is one of the most awarded ophthalmologists of his generation! Here are a few of the world leaders in cataract/implant surgery with whom he collaborated to advance the art and science of cataract surgery.
Don't know where to start?
Contact Shellie Pruden who can help you figure out where you should start on your healing journey. Schedule a free consultation with her by clicking the button below!